TAKE ACTION: Help us overturn Moama mega-puppy factory approval
Home > Act Now > Action latest campaigns > TAKE ACTION: Help us overturn Moama mega-puppy factory approval
On 28 April 2021, Murray River Council voted in secret and behind closed doors to approve a 300 dog puppy factory that will be built on land owned by a man that's been convicted of animal cruelty at a puppy factory in Victoria in 2018.
The Council voted to approve despite overwhelming community opposition to the application.
The applicant has a previous history with puppy factories. His property in Victoria was under investigation for two years by Shepparton Council and RSPCA Victoria.
Court documents show that charges were laid in December 2016 and January, February, May, June, July (when the applicant purchased the property) August, October and November 2017.
These charges included:
- Failing to register dogs
- Conduct animal business on unregistered premises – no council permit
- Failure to include microchip number in online ads
- Keeping more than 2 dogs without a permit
- Conducting an animal business in breach of the Code of Practice
- Failing to provide food and drink and failing to provide veterinary care to a sick or injured animal
It is clear this puppy factory should never have been approved.
Thankfully, Cr Geoff Wise will move a motion at the next council meeting to rescind this terrible decision. Please send an email using the form provided (feel free to edit!) and urge councillors to change their decision.